Godparents for Baptism and Sponsors for Confirmation must supply a Sponsor Certificate, also called a Letter of Eligibility, from the Parish that they currently belong to and attend on a regular basis. The following are the guidelines for being a Godparent or Sponsor
- You may have one or two Godparents (baptized Catholics) (One Sponsor is required for Confirmation)
- If there are two Godparents, one must be male and the other female. (Canon Law)
- If you are having two Godparents, BOTH need letters of eligibility.
- Godparents/Sponsors must be practicing Catholics who have received the 3 Sacraments of Initiation – Baptism, Holy Eucharist, and Confirmation and if married, be in a valid Catholic Marriage. (Canon Law)
- Godparents/Sponsors must be 16 years of age or older. (Canon Law)
- Godparents must attend a Baptismal Preparation Class
- Parents cannot be Godparents/Sponsors to their own children.
- A Christian non-Catholic, who has been baptized, may be designated a Christian Witness for Baptism. (A Catholic cannot be a Christian Witness)
- A non-baptized person cannot be a Godparent, Sponsor or a Christian Witness.